Discussion No. 6: Media Literacy in the Technological Age
Needs to be more than 300 words and include citations.
Compare and contrast the cable news broadcasts of Tucker Carlson (Fox News) and Rachel Maddow or Lawrence O’Donnel (MSNBC) covering the same topic. You may pick episodes from these shows dating back one calendar year for this activity. Each program can be accessed on the parent network's website or an online video archive (YouTube, Hulu, Google video, etc). Watch each program for a minimum of 10 minutes, to ensure the topic was fully addressed from introduction to conclusion. Then, think about and respond to the following questions.
- What was the lead story? What level of priority did political news receive?
- What were the similarities and differences did you observe in the general nature of the stories which received coverage?
- What did you see/hear that was relevant to your reading about the media in our text?
- Was their a political bias to the presentation? If so, what was it (i.e., liberal or conservative)? Was it more or less obvious on one network rather than other?
- How does this bias affect you as a viewer? As a thinker? As a voter or potential voter?
Don’t forget to explain how you accessed the broadcast, along with the original date and the time of the broadcasts you have used in this assignment (if you have viewed it online, and would like to include a link, we’d all appreciate it). List the source information at the end of your posting in proper MLA citation format. Also, remember to identify all additional sources you have consulted. An in-text citation requires a parenthetical citation, for example: (Smith). Then, provide a formal citation at the end of your posting.