Aggression is a behavior that is said to result from a combination of biological and social factors, as is the case with many psychological topics. Aggressive behavior can be helpful in terms of keeping us safe, but it can also be damaging when taken to an extreme. Our society is plagued with aggressive acts, and aggression is a trait that is seen universally, in some capacity, across cultures. In this assignment, we will explore the interplay of factors that affect one’s individual aggressive tendencies, as well as propose solutions to reduce aggressive behavior when needed.
- Write a 2 page paper describing the biological and social influences of aggressive behavior, as well as proposing methods of reducing aggressive behavior. Ensure the following points are addressed:
- Identify and discuss at least 3 biological causes of aggression, and at least 3 social, psychological, and/or environmental influences on aggressive behavior (for a total of at least 6 factors). Discuss your own feelings on causes of aggressive behavior. Do you believe that it is an innate or biological behavior, one that is more socially influenced, or a combination of factors?
- Discuss proposed motivation for aggressive behavior, based on the Theory of Rewards and the Social Learning theory.
- If you were a psychologist working with a 10-year-old boy who has been showing irrational aggressive behaviors (punching, yelling, breaking items) at home and at school, describe 2 ways in which you could seek to reduce the aggressive tendencies, based on the reading material.
- Include insights that aggressive behavior is related to the presence of universal sin in the human race (as a result of the Fall of Adam).
- Ensure that you have an introduction, conclusion, and at least two scholarly resources to support your writing.
Ensure that you use the Paper Writing rubric to guide your efforts and support your work with scholarly academic resources using APA format.