Discussion: Wars and Totalitarianism: Humanites 1003 Chapter 34
CHOOSE ONE TOPIC. Give your response with an example and support (one full text box). Respond to at least 2 of your classmates' posts for full credit.
1. Explore and discuss. The diversity of styles in the visual arts of the nineteenth century proliferated even more in the twentieth century and beyond as “post modernism” challenged “modernism,” and old values seemed irrelevant in the destruction of two world wars and a cold war. Artists showed the importance of the personal artistic vision to society.
War I Art
World War II Art
• Lee Miller (Links to an external site.)
• Picasso’s Guernica (Links to an external site.)
How did artists portray and express their opinions on the two World Wars? Provide specific examples from the artworks.
2. Learn more about some of the writers and artists who responded to totalitarianism in their works. • Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn (Links to an external site.)
• Elie Wiesel (Links to an external site.)
• Sergei Eisenstein (Links to an external site.)
• Li Hua (Links to an external site.)
How did some of these writers and artists respond to the spread of totalitarianism? Support your response with examples.